Franceska
Franceska asked:

So what makes this book a five star rating?

Jane Buttery This is an inspiring book about the courage of Kamila and her sisters during the Taliban era. The author spent time with the seamstresses and saw how the need to survive pushed them into business and into helping their whole community. I could not put it down!
Dana I really liked seeing the war in Afghanistan from a different perspective. Too often war is show from the military or political standpoint and women are portrayed as victims and bystanders. Here is a portrait of a woman (and the other women in her family) who persevered in spite of the circumstances. She did not fight the culture but worked within it to make the best of the situation and in the process saved her family as well as many families around her. I gave this 5 stars for the story - a woman who loved her country and her family and displayed great courage to make the best of a bad situation.
Image for The Dressmaker of Khair Khana
by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (Goodreads Author)