Carol Bachofner

In the midst of this book now. Do any of you have an opinion as to whether this is as good as Reading Lolita in Tehran or maybe even better?

Dot No, disappointed, I wanted to hear about the lives of Iranians.
Abbey I found this to be considerably more accessible than Reading Lolita in Tehran (possibly because of where I was in my life then vs. where I am now as I read Republic). I never found that Reading Lolita stuck with me quite like I already have with Republic--it took me so long to read this book because I kept wanting to go back and reread the beginning, where I found some of the best arguments for spending my free reading with fiction. Favorite quote: "Every novel has at its core a choice by at least one of its protagonists, reminding the reader that she can choose to be her own person, to go against what her parents or society or the state tells her to do and follow the faint but essential beat of her own heart."
That makes me proud to be a devoted fiction reader.
Image for The Republic of Imagination
by Azar Nafisi (Goodreads Author)