AUC Press
AUC Press asked:

Which of the many interesting characters did you like best in Alaa Al-Aswany's debut novel that first took Egypt by storm and then quickly became an international bestseller?

To answer questions about The Yacoubian Building, please sign up.
Susan My favorite was Busayna because I could very slightly identify with some of her predicament in the workplace (from long, long ago). She had practicality and perseverance despite her setbacks. She accepted her responsibility to take care of her family despite the small ability she had as a woman to provide for them. She was annoyed by Taha's unwillingness to accept life as it was, and she recognized love when it came, no matter how strange a place it came from. I had sympathy for Taha in the beginning but his inability to accept and adapt is an annoying quality found in many men who put pride before life, where women most often shoulder the burden and keep on going.
Image for The Yacoubian Building