Faith Colburn
Faith Colburn asked Joyce Hicks:

Joyce, I've just finished reading Escape from Assisted Living. Wonderful. I think I'll give it to my kids as a cautionary tale. "Don't bother signing me up for assisted living, guys. I'll let you know when I need help. What was your inspirations? As a retiree, I've given it some thought, but never enough to produce a novel.

Joyce Hicks Thank you, Faith. I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much. Many ideas come to me by overhearing conversations--I "met" Betty, Sharon, and Vince when they were next to me at a Panera, and I imagined their lives from there. I've visited senior living places with my dad and recall his comments--a cruise where you can't get off. Also, we all know the tensions between generations and the feeling of trying to behave well but conniving for independence.