Goodreads asked Rudy Ross:

Rudy Ross Besides writing, you have to read. Read the classics and the books about writing. Get a routine, where you can do a little at a time, and it motivates you to write, and it improves what you are working on.

Read the classics you enjoy, because you can’t read them all. If you’re a guy, you need to read Treasure Island, and Kidnapped. Women should read all the Jane Austen books. Men should read them too, but my point is, these great writers will inspire you if you related to their writing style.
About books on writing—here are just a few which I really liked: Curious Attractions by Debra Spark, On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner, Ernest Hemingway on Writing, Stephen King on Writing, How to Write a Novel by Nathan Bransford, Gotham Writer’s Workshop Writing Fiction, Bird by Bird by Anne Lamotte.

Finally, someone actually has to sit their butt in a chair and write. That’s you. You need to write. I’m not saying you must write so many pages day. What I’m saying is you should want to write every day, all day. And everything else should seem like an annoying interference to your writing. Giving yourself a number of pages to write becomes a chore. It’s not fun. Who wants to do that?

After your first and second draft – be it an article or short story or novel, then maybe there is a bit of drudgery in clean up, and because you haven’t rested from it long enough to appreciate how good you are. It can be boring. So put it away for a week, then reread it, and you’ll want to dig in and improve it.

When you are on fire, write. That’s my advice.