Jo Forcade
Jo Forcade asked Kristin Hannah:

Hi Kristin, I love your books and have read every one of them. Once I start I can't put them down. So needless to say I am always waiting for your new books to come out! I have always have been intrigued with the idea of writing a children's chapter book mystery. Is it a good idea to start with a creative writing class first? I have lots of ideas. What was your process when you started writing? Thank you!

Kristin Hannah Hi Jo--Good luck with your writing, first of all. I am of the belief that if you have a strong interest in writing a book, you can learn the skills necessary to complete it. The hard part is starting. The harder part is to keep going when you're in the weeds. And at some point in every project, you are in the weeds.
My best advice is to join a Children's book writing group. Take classes, go to conferences, enter contests, become friends with other writers, find a critique partner. And most importantly, keep writing. You only fail if you stop. Good luck!
Kristin Hannah