Leanne
Leanne asked:

I'm trying to find some good sci-fi books for a 14-year old boy - do you think the Vorkosigan books are good for that age, or is 14 too young to read these books? Any other recommendations?

To answer questions about The Warrior's Apprentice, please sign up.
Ami I've just read the Warrior apprentice. It's great for 14 years kid, and probably for 13 too. It's a great lightweight action flick.
The book has some sex references, but they are not explicit, minor to the plot, and probably not something that a 14 years kid haven't already seen on TV.
R.kerkdyk Take it with a grain of salt, but I would wait a bit with the beginning of the Vorkosigan series. One aspect of the story focuses on the consequences of rape. While this is handled appropriately in the books I am not sure a boy would take away the right message from it.
I would rather suggest some lighter science fiction from Heinlein. Tunnel in the Sky comes to mind. Here is a list of Heinleins juveniles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlei...
If Heinlein is not for him perhaps Enders Game or Jannisaries.
Luke The themes are pretty mature. Sexual tension, torture, rape, murder, and fetishes all come up. The themes are handled well. They are not placed there for mere shock value.
Lord_Humungus Try the "Lucky Starr series" from Isaac Asimov.
Scott I think this would be perfectly fine for a 14 year old. The "adult" themes are no worse than a typical network TV show or Marvel comic story.
Lyssa We started my godson at that age with the Warrior's Apprentice. But we also discussed the books with him, the same way we talked with him about movies, or television shows that deals with more adult themes.
Mike Pearce A great set of books are Harry Harrisons "Stainless Steel Rat" series. About a boy thief called Jimi DeGriz who keeps on getting into trouble, but saving the ship/fleet/planet in the process.

I devoured these as a kid - great scifi
Image for The Warrior's Apprentice
by Lois McMaster Bujold (Goodreads Author)