Juliet
Juliet asked:

Is the narrator sane or is he insane??? ;-)

To answer questions about The Tell-Tale Heart, please sign up.
Sara I believe he is insane trying to convince us he is sane.
Many times he mentions that he isn't crazy because of one reason or another.
"TRUE! --nervous --very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses --not destroyed --not dulled them. ... How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily --how calmly I can tell you the whole story."
Isabel 100%!! The state of mind of the Narrator in “The Tell-Tale Heart” is insane because of the specific details that he includes, and he is an unreliable narrator. The narrator describes near the middle of the story a sense right after he kills the old man “I then smiled gaily, to find the deed so far done. But for many minutes the heartbeat on with a muffled sound. This, however, did not vex me; it would not be heard through the wall” (Poe par. 11) This quote reveals that he seems to be okay with the death over the eye. The narrator was probably insane before the murder of this man. Secondly, he still hears the heartbeat after knowing he's dead. and At the beginning of the story, the narrator explains what the eye looks like and uses it as an excuse for the murder. He describes, “ I think it was his eye! Yes, it was this! One of his eyes resembled that of a vulture — a pale blue eye with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me my blood ran cold” (Poe, par. 2). This quote illustrates in the beginning he was a little unsure why he did it but he changed his memories to revolve around the eye that he found so utterly gross.
Cola Jan The narrator is insane. Poe uses the "unreliable narrator" technique and makes the narrator say that he is not insane. However, through the narrator's actions and dialogue, you can see that he has gone mad. Not only does Poe uses this is "The Tell-Tale Heart", but in other stories he uses mad and insane unreliable narrators.
Pen-Pen
Moe I dont Know because i didnt read the story yet
Mariam This narrator is unreliable. Poe did that with many of his narrators. The fact that he can 'hear' the old man's heart beating after he killed him shows how unstable he is. He thinks that he's being subtle in his attempts to murder the old man but he misses the fact that the old man was becoming weary of him. The neighbors were too, that's what made the police come in the middle of the night. He thinks that he committed the crime perfectly because in his mind he is incapable of error, but that's not true. He gave off a creepy aura and when he retold the story you can hear the crazy in his tone. He keeps reassuring the readers that he sane because he can retell the story perfectly without falling apart. That was the biggest give away that he was truly sick in the mind.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) He's insane. His obsession with the cataract over the old man's eye drives him to murder the man he "loves" so much. To kill over a physical defect? He's fine, ya know? Just...nervous, true, very very dreadfully nervous. I'm pretty sure the neighbours have been aware that he's not right for some time now; otherwise how would the cops have shown up so quickly, if the murder was done in the middle of the night? Also, his constant justifications of his actions and attempts to convince his interlocutor that he is sane. Crazy people always think they're fine, it's everyone else that has a problem.
Sarah I believe he is sane, although killing someone made him have a conscience of what he's done. Maybe it was this that drove him ill.
Scientia Good question haha
Yoana IMO he's sane, because his conscience works perfectly.
Image for The Tell-Tale Heart