Michele
Michele asked:

How confused were you with the plethora of characters, four different generation and the shifting time?

To answer questions about Behind the Scenes at the Museum, please sign up.
Elizabeth Oh boy if you have problems with this book I sincerely recommend that you DO NOT read Game of Thrones.
Elaine I felt one had to keep a listing of endless characters in mind with no characteristics or emotions that are unique to any of them. It was shallow, quotidian, and annoying.
Sarah I made a chart of the main characters and relatives, beginning with Alice and going through Ruby's children, Alice and Pearl. I found that I had to refer back to that chart throughout the novel.
Jean I just loved the narrative structure and the juxtapositioni g of the different generations!
Wendy It did feel tedious to me as well until about the time when Ruby became a teenager and the narrative voice was suddenly more plausible and I had enough background to know who was of importance. Ruby really came into her own as the storyteller and took over the book at last! The revelation at the hypnotist helped as well. That made it easier to feel the connection between daughter and mother deepen as Bunty aged and truly lost her mind.
Charlotte Not at all. I enjoy it immensely.
Diana It took a little work keeping them straight at first. Then I found this family tree, which really helped:
http://www.mvls.info/nysca/bd/BDGuide...

And I thought it was totally worth it. I loved the character of Ruby, and I was interested in all the stories that came up in the footnote chapters, as well.
Sandi I had to keep referring back to page 22 which listed Nell’s relations to keep the generations straight.
Claire Yes! I read before going to sleep at night. It's not enjoyable to me to have to worry about all these people and different times and storylines! I started reading the first few chapters, only to realize I had read them before. Gave up about the same place I gave up last time. Back to the library it goes...

Also, I never got to anything about a museum. My husband took one look at this book and pronouced, "Behind the Scenes at the Museum. Sounds boring." He was right, but not for the reason he thought...
Amber Khan I had to keep going back to remember who was who, and now that I have finished the past stories are still a jumble. Having said that, I still enjoyed the book.
Image for Behind the Scenes at the Museum