Shahznk
Shahznk asked:

i loved this book however the friendship between Rumi and Shams of tabriz was shown as if they cared more about each other than the teachings of Islam. Anyone feel as if rumi and shams of tabriz friendship was far more important than their relationship with god ??? (I'm am referring to the characters in the book and how they are potrayed there, not the ones in real life)

To answer questions about The Forty Rules of Love, please sign up.
Zainab Although late to the party, in my opinion the answer is in the rule 38, '' do not ask yourself which kind of love you should seek, spiritual or material, divine or mundane, Eastern or Western..Divisions only lead to more divisions. Love has no labels, definitions''.
Sahar Hanifi Like before mentioned, it wasn't required. The entire point was that their relationship was meant to help them both to reach on that level of spirituality. Hence why it did not really matter. Btw you shouldn't take this book as a source of Islam/History. Rather see it as a retold story but only made more romantic.
Arba the book is not islamic it is spiritual , and it is not that accurate or a trusted source of history it was based on the meeting between shams of tabriz and rumi but it needed those details to sell .
it was beautiful, romantic , spititual and inspirational but it is still a novel and the writer said it herself : she gets sad when the story is taken much more that just a story. i know i'm late but i felt like i just had to clear things up. salut !
Omar Simply..The book shows their relationship with each other, not their relation with God, so you have to feel that feeling that you felt :))... The book is not "Islamic" in the first class. It is not concerned with the main rules of Islam as it concerned with the lovely relationship between Rumi & Shams and Ella & Azziz.
Dana Shalabi I felt their strong relationship was central to the story, and to me it even raised questions for me. I am still on page 312, but I felt that the feelings of resentment of those close to Rumi were justified. Of course I am referring to the book not to history. I agree the book is not Islamic, it is spiritual and it is not really romantic as much as it being spiritual.
Mahdi this is a lovely book and highly praised. but it seems to me to have an opinion exactly on the contrary of yours. i think the only thing that connected them to each other and made that lovely relation between them was teachings of Islam.
Nanou According to the book, their relation was a God-centric, and shams had help Rumi to reach the 4th level, they did not need to concentrate on Islam on its self in their relation because they did not need to do.
Ahmed Shibrain Come on people, their relationship is God-centeric !
Yes the book is not Islamic but there is too much of Sufi Islamic culture in it.
Maggie
Sana I felt same and find it very off putting.
iman i agree ! rumi was like 'worshipping' chams ..
Zohaib Rana Even though Shams and Rumi shared a strong bond, they also thought of each other as companions who helped each other to attain a higher spiritual level.
Image for The Forty Rules of Love
by Elif Shafak (Goodreads Author)