Mike
Mike asked:

Great book, was castaway, meets space, and I loved it! Only downside is, loads of cursing, in an attempt to make the character more real I think... could have done without it. ?

To answer questions about The Martian, please sign up.
D Deprogrammer The author said he modeled the personality of the protagonist after his own, so I suspect he swears quite a bit. As a former mechanical engineer, I assure you that if I was stuck alone on Mars for a year and a half, assuming I could survive that long, I would've worn out the f-word in the first few months.
Stephen Dawson This has a question mark at the end in addition to a full stop, and so I'm not sure if it's really intended to be a question or a statement.

Of course we could have "done without" the swearing, just as we could have done without the book. The book is the product the author has produced and the character he envisaged.

It's a shame the swearing took the edge off it for you - personally it didn't impact on my enjoyment of the book, but there are 89 instances of the f-word and I can see how that would seem excessive to some.
Margaret Mae If you were stuck on Mars or trying to save someone stranded on Mars, wouldn't you curse? It's not that big of a deal, to me at least. If you really want a clean version there is a classroom version...
Image for The Martian
by Andy Weir (Goodreads Author)