Iben
Iben asked:

Which should I read first, this or The Hero and the Crown?

To answer questions about The Blue Sword, please sign up.
Jason Holt My wife and I read The Blue Sword first. The two books set up an inside joke. If you've read The Hero and the Crown, then you can laugh at the people making a legend out of this ordinary person who was just fumbling around trying to do her best. And if you've read The Blue Sword, then you can laugh at this person fumbling around, not realizing that everything she does will become part of a heroic legend.

So, yeah. It works either way.
Ryan Head I recommend reading the Blue Sword first. Having Harry Crewe as an outsider to the land of Damar really introduces the land and people in a carefully thought out manner. In terms of the story continuity, it doesn't really matter.
Wendy I read the Hero and the Crown first, and I think it worked out nicely because when I read the Blue Sword afterwards, I was able to understand their references to the past. But either way, it works :)
Shannon I would read the Hero and the Crown first because the references in The Blue Sword will make a lot more sense. The Blue Sword is also better imo so if you like the Hero and the Crown stay tuned for an even better 2nd novel
Dini Subbiah Doesn't really matter, I also read The Hero and the Crown first though the Blue Sword was written earlier, I believe.
Marcia I always read "The Blue Sword" first. But I reread them both every few years. I must.
Image for The Blue Sword