Abbi Davis
Abbi Davis asked:

To answer questions about Little Women, please sign up.
Trix Wilkins
Karina The reason why Beth died...is that's what happened to the writers sister: Elizabeth Sewall Alcott. A lot of what goes into this story is based upon the writers own family. She of course is Jo. You can find paintings done by the artist sister Abigail Amy Alcott.
Gemma SPOILERS!

I felt EXACTLY the same when I first finished this! But then I had time to think... and I read the next books, so I guess that part of it isn't so bad anymore.

Plus, why did Laurie write a letter to Jo making sure she hadn't changed her mind, just before asking Amy to marry him??? I mean, come on! :)
Sarah Haha, I can see how that would be infuriating! I personally loved the way everything turned out. I thought Jo and Bhaer make a lovely couple; you can read how everyone turned out in Jo's Boys and Little Men.

I think Beth died to further the characterization of Jo, which makes sense since Jo was the main character. Beth's dying took away a part of Jo, which she (Jo) later found with the professor.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book! I really didn't like Amy either, but I promise she mellows out in the next two books.

All the best~
Image for Little Women