Dan
Dan asked:

How do people feel about the ticker along the bottom of the pages? And how did you read it?

To answer questions about The Faraway Nearby, please sign up.
Margarita It impinged on my consciousness from time to time as I read the main text, and then when I finished the main text, I went back to the beginning and read the ticker text (kind of like the scene/metaphor at the end where she waded into the river, holding onto the baggage raft, and came back out around the other side). I think it was an allusion to the thread/story/connectedness theme (it ran throughout and mirrored/amplified various elements of the main text and also contributed new details), it was a way to bring you back into the book and read it in a different way (like the various versions of stories, folk tales and the one about the woman who had to eat her dead husband and children), and it undermined (like other things did: the circular naming of the chapters, the weaving back and forth of themes and stories) conventional notions of a single throughline of narrative.
Sweetnothing it bugs the crap out of me... i wish i could find a way to read it that feels right, because it is interesting
Megan Bell I read it while I was reading the main pages, which works best if you're on vacation or have a weekend to read it in one fell swoop, then I went back and read the ticker again at the end. The ticker really reflects the rest of the work, and it's tricky, but well worth trying to read at the same time.
Antonia It didn't appear in the Kindle version, which I read. Instead, that entire essay was added at the end of the book. I think I'd have found it distracting and confusing. But it's hard to say. I haven't seen a paper edition of the book. Will take a look when I have a chance.
John Pendrey It worked well for me. Stories are always running a the same time. This makes that point.
Ruth I waited until I got to the end of the book and read it as a final essay. It worked really well that way.
Tony I like the lack of explanation. It was a wonderful vindication to show to a granddaughter who is afraid of moths while liking butterflies.
Catherine I read them after each chapter ending. It worked well and kept the reading enriched and alive but I feel many ways would have done as well. How extremely brilliant is this woman.
Susan I read the bottom essay first. After reading the rest of the book I saw the "ticker" is just another part of the labyrinth that is this collection of related essays. The reader enters and exits at the same place, but not the same perspective.
Susie Anderson it's a bit stressful, but less so than the onslaught quotes in Wanderlust which I found harder to keep track of than the run on effect of this one..
Image for The Faraway Nearby