Valerie Bird
Valerie Bird asked:

Is anyone else struggling with this? Love bits of it and then irritation with characters sets in. Marvellous ideas but isn't there too much to hold it together?

To answer questions about How to Be Both, please sign up.
Saskia Too much of what? I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean in that last part of your question.
Personally, I don't feel any irritation toward the characters at all. I think they are brilliant.
But I can see why anyone could struggle with this book, because of the writing style. It's written as the train of thoughts of the characters. So quite often sentences are not fully formed; or they go on forever, interpersed with random thoughts as they seem to come up for the character. There's more of a poetic style to it. And it leaves things open for the reader to what is meant or what has happened.

And as Maria Lucia Seidl de Moura is suggesting, I believe too this may be even harder if reading it in your non-native language. But if reading it in your native language (which I haven't, so I'm guessing here) it still requires more focus and effort than many other books would do.
Also, this applies even more so to the 'eyes' part of the book, in my opinion. So you could try reading the 'camera' part first, and see if you think it's worth reading on with the other first part (eyes)?
Maria Lucia Seidl de Moura I really struggle with this book, but maybe because English is not my native language.
Image for How to Be Both