Leila
Leila asked Sharon Kay Penman:

When you write about a real person in your books Sharon, do you ever find your feelings for that character changing in any way?

Sharon Kay Penman Hi, Leila. I am sorry it took me so long to answer you, but I've gotten caught up in the usual Christmas chaos; also I wanted to give your question some thought, for it is an interesting one. What happens is that the real person becomes submerged in my character. So when I think of Eleanor of Aquitaine, it is my Eleanor who comes to my mind, etc. I've had characters expand their roles beyond which I'd originally anticipated. Davydd ap Gruffydd, Llywelyn's brother, was one of those, turning into a born scene-stealer. Another character who took a minor part and ran with it was Henry II's cousin Maud, the Countess of Gloucester. She was very clever at getting additional time on center stage. :-) There is one character whom I initially saw rather critically, but once I began to research him, I found myself sympathizing more with his plight--Tancred, the King of Sicily.