Michael Dawson

Is this appropriate for listening to in the car with a 10 and 12 year old?

To answer questions about Dad Is Fat, please sign up.
Suzanna Lynn He does bring up the fact that Santa is not real...
Elyse He says 'bitches' once. Talks about uteruses, breasts, penises, circumcisions. Not really for 10-12 y/o. It's about parenting so probably not funny to them.
Kelli Keisel Whether or not Dad is Fat is appropriate for a 10- or 12-year-old depends entirely on the child. It covers some adult-leaning topics that may need to be discussed with younger children afterwards. For example, he says Santa isn't real, he uses adult/gray language such as penis and uterus, and he talks about how fertile his wife is.

Can this discussion happen in a car? I guess it depends on the length of the car ride. If you're looking for something amusing to listen to on the way to school drop-off, then probably not. However, on a long car ride it can certainly be done.

I'd say Mr. Gaffigan presents a good example of how to respectfully discuss adult ideas. For example, "Did you notice how he's using adult language but he's not being rude about it? Why do you think that's important?" From that angle, as long as you accompany the book with discussion, it can be useful in addition to its traditional entertaining aspect.
Lil_Bugs I enjoyed listening to it with my mom and dad, I'm not your average kid...
Linda Hart Kids over age 9 will enjoy it. Very clean humor appropriate for family listening while driving.
John P The 10-12y/o will not find it funny and probably will not listen to it. It is mainly about parenting and children.
James (JD) Dittes I listened to it with my 11 and 14-year-olds. They enjoyed it and found it funny.
Jennifer He keeps his comedy clean in language and topic (if something is in there, I apologize!). But since most of it is about raising children, depending on the attention spans of the 10 & 12 year old, they may not find it as entertaining.

I would say, based on his two stand-up comedy DVD shows that I've seen, Mr. Universe and Beyond the Pale, this wasn't as funny.
Image for Dad Is Fat