Steve Joyce
Steve Joyce asked:

Does anyone know about the publication history of this book? My edition was printed in 1986 and copyright is shown as 1963. There are allusions to Watergate and coverups. I'd like to find out how much Tevis might have revised the text. Anybody know? Thanks.

To answer questions about The Man Who Fell to Earth, please sign up.
Kenneth Lynch Looked at my 1963 edition, The "Gold Medal Original" Published by Frederick Muller Limited London. By arrangement with Fawcett Publications Inc. Chapter 8 last paragraph page 121 had the following " ...1976 is an election year. The President is already campaigning for a second term ... did you know that the President uses us, in the CIA, to spy on the other party? - that the Republicans are going to turn this whole business into something like the Dreyfus case" No mention of Watergate in the original.
Pam The book I'm reading has a 1963 publish date and the following comment "This edition includes slight revisions that the author made to the text in 1976."
Kenneth Since the making of the movie was obviously a big deal for Tevis, not least because it renewed interest in the novel, it would make sense for him to look over the MS and give it a few tweaks. This would have been around about 1976, as the comment Pam mentions does specify.
Jacob While there doesn't seem to be any obvious mention of it anywhere I have looked, it was reprinted in 1981 and it seems reasonable to assume that Tevis made the changes in the not inconsiderable space between.
Gary Duckworth I have the second printing of the UK 1976 Pan edition. Chapter 8, in section 2, "1988 Rumplestiltskin" - "Watergate changed nothing - nothing..." IS in my edition...as is The Dreyfus case, but that happened prior to WW1 - so that part is ok. But yes - how much else was changed from 1963 original US edition to this one?
Image for The Man Who Fell to Earth