Goodreads asked Christian Cook:

Christian Cook The most recent book I am working on is an old idea that's been churning over and evolving for a long time. But I generally find that I lose track of the original inspiration for most projects and, in some ways, I feel that is part of the process.

What often happens is that I will start off with a tiny spark of something: a situation; a character; a snippet of dialogue; a seemingly impossible question. At some point in the editing process, I will notice that one element is really not working for the piece and it often turns out to be the first thing that inspired the concept.

Just like a plant in a garden, the original seed often vanishes from view. It some ways it feels like you haven't written the book you were supposed to write and yet you cannot take that seed off elsewhere and do something new with it because it is spent.