Norain
Norain asked:

Did the narrator mention whose funeral he went to? He talked about his children but there seemed to be no mention of his wife - or did I miss it? Where? - so was it his wife's funeral?

To answer questions about The Ocean at the End of the Lane, please sign up.
Pam
Jesse Conterio At the time I was under the impression it was his wife's.. But now I think it might have been his dad's. I think that would be more relevant to the story
Ant his own? out there I know... but not entirely out of place with the idea of wormhole and travelling in other dimensions
Jess Penhallow I think it's his father's funeral. He wants to get away from the funeral to be alone with his emotions and I saw this as being caused by his fraught relationship with his now deceased father.

Plus his sister was hosting the wake which suggests that its definitely a member of her family.
Liz I thought it might have been his father's. It's never explained directly but there are tinges of regret about his relationship/communication with his dad in several places in the book. Much more so than about his mother.
At any rate, it's definitely someone from his hometown, probably a family member, and not his sister (there are references to her waiting for him to come back after the funeral). He grew up without many friends, and the gathering is at his family's house. He'd said at one point in the story that he'd also had an aunt die when he was young. At 47 years old, I think he probably doesn't have surviving grandparents. My money's on Mum or Dad, probably Dad!
Jay Astarte
AJ I always thought it was one of his parents because he went home for it. But no its never mentioned. In an interview I saw I remember Gaiman saying that he purposely didn't say.
Lohengrin I don't think whose funeral it was was ever mentioned, though it seemed to be someone he was close to. He did mention his marriage had failed years earlier so I imagine that's why he doesn't mention her.
Corina
Maegan
Leslie Golden The narrator does not mention but it's probably a close relation since everyone is gathering at his sister's and wanting to commiserate with him. Probably a parent.
Image for The Ocean at the End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman (Goodreads Author)