Becky Garcia
Becky Garcia asked:

Is this a YA book? I can't seem to tell.

To answer questions about Ghost Horse, please sign up.
Thomas McNeely Becky -

Thank you for this question! My apologies for having taken so long to reply. When I was writing Ghost Horse, I tried to create a coming of age book like ones I had read as an adolescent, like Other Voices, Other Rooms, by Truman Capote, and Stop Time, by Frank Conroy. I don't claim to have achieved what Capote or Conroy did in their books, but I do think that Ghost Horse is accessible for readers of all ages, though there are adult situations, and elements of the book which will not be clear to younger readers. But this was one of the pleasures, to me, of reading books that were over my head when I was younger, and of re-reading them now from a different perspective - the shifting depths of a good book. This is what I've tried to achieve in Ghost Horse.
Best, Tom
Jhanno It's an interesting question. It doesn't feel like a YA read, but it might cross over. It's an intense read, dark and haunting for an adult, but it might be interesting to see how it is received by older teens. I'm considering reading portions of it with my students...
Image for Ghost Horse
by Thomas H. McNeely (Goodreads Author)