Phoebe
Phoebe asked:

Who is the real victim of this play? Stanley, Stella or Blanche?

To answer questions about A Streetcar Named Desire, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Define "real." ;) They all are, one way or another. Stella is a victim of her own unrealistic expectations, which she projects onto Stanley instead of seeing who he is. (And we've all done that.) She is also a victim of Stanley's belittling, fits of rage, violence, and "he-man" user attitudes. Blanche is also a victim of her unrealistic expectations for life; like many alcoholic women I have known, she seems to be a lightening rod that attracts any problem or disaster in the vicinity; also she is victimised by Stanley because she happens to be there and is weak and he figures no one will believe her side of the story. And ol' Stan is a victim of his own ideas of what a "real man" should be.
And then there's the merry-go-round of the group dynamic. Strewth.
Clarissa McDaniel I would say they are all the real victims. Each of them is struggling with their own demons.
Lucy Roberts I would say Blanche is the traditional victim as the faded Southern belle, who has lost her lifestyle, home, wealth as well as having her illusions shattered by the death of her young husband and the violence of Stanley. Her alcoholism and decline into insanity is therefore a result of her retreating into her illusions and imagination as she cannot escape her fear of death, violence and commonness in the Quarter. Whilst Stella and Stanley can technically be described as victims, it is far more nuanced as despite the violence Stanley bestows on Stella, she is thrilled by it and it acts as a precursor to sexual romance. Stanley too, is trapped perhaps by his sexuality, but as the true survivor of the play, upholding his pride, masculinity and wife I think he is far from pitiable.
Sye Williams In my opinion, Blanche. Not only has she lost her way of life, which she risked and ultimately lost her stance in society in an attempt to keep, she's mistrusted (Yes, I know she keeps up a front, but it's easy to tell when she's fronting. Practically character in the play could tell with the exception of one, so when she's not believed at the most critical time, I blame others. It is not a "boy who cried wolf situation.") , antagonized, and violated. Stella is blinded by love for Stanley, a man who's brutishness is frankly astounding. She's trapped in an abusive marriage, which also makes her a victim, but, to me, the very ending makes her a perpetrator of injustice as well. To be a "true victim" in my eyes, you must not enact an injustice on another person. Sure, Blanche had her faults, but these could have been worked through. As she said, she never lied with her heart. She never acted with malintentions or participated in malintentions.
Emilie Stella and Blanche for me, especially since both are self-deceptive. Blanche is the most obvious example of someone who lies to others and herself, but Stella also chooses to stay with a man she knows to be abusive because she has nowhere else to go and would rather believe a secure lie than face the ugly truth.
Rosie Drew
Aulia A. They are all the victims, but I think Stella is the most because she has to struggle with her husband rude habits and her sister lies.
Image for A Streetcar Named Desire