Mike Warble
Mike Warble asked:

Should this book have won the National Book Award?

To answer questions about An Unnecessary Woman, please sign up.
Deborah Yes. The author's employment of Greek mythology into a story of a Lebanese woman, texturized by threads of philosophy, is a comforting yet troubling story. This story of a woman who realizes all too late in life the value of her life, is told beautifully. The vocabulary is complex, challenging...it had me exercising the pages of my Webster's dictionary. In short, I was challenged, I learned and I grew. Isn't that what National Book award winners are supposed to do for a reader?
John Lawson I think it should have. Alameddine has created a vivid title character and described Beirut and Lebanon during its worst days in terms that evoke our sympathy and increase our understanding of Middle Eastern political and social problems.
Cynthia I think so. I read 4 of the 5 finalists (missed Robinson's book so far) and this is the one that has stayed with me over the months. This is a terrific novel with a wonderful 1st person narrator who for me stepped from the pages. The NBA winner--Redeployment--is very good as loosely linked stories. But AUW won both my heart and mind.
Marjorie Yes. I enjoyed it very much. I think you definitely need to be in the right mood to read it. It is a bit heavy at times but on balance, I think it was very well written. I am giving it 4stars.
Image for An Unnecessary Woman