Jintze19
Jintze19 asked:

Does the book have any swearing or other bad language in it. If it was rated like a movie, what would it's rating be?

To answer questions about Dad Is Fat, please sign up.
Katelyn I was surprised that he does swear quite a few times. I wouldn't go too young for this one. I'd say PG-13.
Kelli Keisel If Dad is Fat were a movie, I'd rate it a solid PG-13. It's definitely not PG because there are some topics I wouldn't want to discuss with younger children. First, Mr. Gaffigan says that Santa isn't real. Second, he refers to how fertile his wife is. Third, there are definitely words scattered sparingly throughout the book that parents wouldn't include in the child-friendly category (penis, breasts, uterus).

That said, the book is also definitely not R. Anyone who's been through a reproductive education class will have been exposed to all of the ideas Mr. Gaffigan introduces. Also, to his credit, he acts like a gentleman throughout the book; despite some adult-leaning language, he doesn't objectify women in his stories or introduce any other similarly negative, uncomfortable ideas.

I'd be comfortable with a teenager reading Dad is Fat, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a 7- or 8-year-old reading it. For children that fall in the 9-12 range, it would really depend on the child's development. Also in that age range I'd recommend following-up adult-leaning topics with parental discussion.
Todd Budnikas One thing to consider is that he does mention how Santa Claus is not real. I was glad at that moment that my youngest was not listening. I just ignored him of course because I still believe. I did play a little bit for her and she kind of enjoyed a few of the jokes about kids being crazy and all of that.
Elyse He says 'bitches' once. Talks about uteruses, breasts, penises, circumcisions. It's pretty tame though, all in all.
Jennifer After reading this book, he appears to be fairly religious, and I got the feeling he makes an effort to have "clean" comedy. It's been a few months since I listened to his audio-book, but I don't recall him using any language. It seemed mostly PG to me - though I think there is one story where his very young son, who is learning about his body very proudly draws like a stick figure with a very obvious penis for school artwork.

Other than that, he talks about how wonderful his wife is, and sort of defends his decision to have a lot of kids in a tiny apartment. And the questions people ask about why he has so many kids, if he's having more kids, is he going to stop having kids. How to wedge that many people into a two bedroom apartment, there's a lot of references to his love of food, trying to eat healthy, pizza, and he talks about doing shows on the road with his family, getting his kids to several different schools.
Image for Dad Is Fat