Mahatma
Mahatma asked:

Who would you say suffers more from self-denial? Dido or Aeneid? And why?

To answer questions about The Aeneid, please sign up.
Heather Purri Dido suffers from self-denial; Aeneas suffers, period. Dido's husband, Sychaeus, had died and he was her one true love. Dido incorrectly assumes that Juno/Hera delaying Aeneas's departure will give him time to fall in love with her. When he leaves, he tells her the truth-that he never loved her-rather than a beautiful and comforting lie. Aeneas suffers because his wife, Creusa, literally just died in the Trojan War and Aeneas is a single father now. In the Underworld, it breaks Aeneas's heart to see that Dido died, but she will not hear his apologies and flaunts her reunion with Sychaeus. But, someday, Aeneas will reunite with Creusa.
Megan i am only up to Book 4 at the moment. But from what I precieve, I would say Aeneas was the most in self-denial. Due to the fact that he wanted to stay with Dido but yet he could not because of his duties, he then wanted to stay and die in Troy with his father but could not because it was not his fate. I think at points he is in self-denial with what is to come e.g. him finding Rome.

I am not sure if this has really answered your question, or even if this has made sense...
Don Dido suffers more because Aeneas is demonstrating the Roman virtue of severitas, which is a fulfillment in its own right.
Tom Fain i would say dido suffered more overall.
September Williams Areas suffers more-- He's a bit spacey but has to live with the eventual impact of his love on Dido. However I do think this is a case where the messenger in the story probably should have been shot.
Image for The Aeneid
by Virgil