Jody
Jody asked:

I'm a big fan of the Bosch books. In the middle of The Burning Room and the writing seems very dry. What do you think?

To answer questions about The Burning Room, please sign up.
Susan Van Kirk I have read all the Bosch series and really liked them. This one just isn't like the others. I felt like Connelly was just going through the motions. He explained so many things about police procedure that are too obvious to ordinary people. I eventually got bored. It almost read like a newspaper account in some places.
Jon Anderson It is not his best effort but it also is missing some of the elements that are often in a Bosch novel. I am wondering if writing this novel in the midst of also trying to get the Bosch TV show off the ground perhaps stretched the creative juices a bit thin. Still enjoyed the book but I love the character, so it would be hard to completely bomb for me.
Cathy I have read and own all the Bosch series and have read them several times each. I agree this wasn't the best of the series, but I like to see the personal relationship side of Harry and how he tries to deal with the people in his life while carrying on his mission of justice. This lacks that in both the romantic, police partner and family relationships. I think this leaves it a little bare bones and results in a less than satisfying read. Still a great mystery with tons of twists that I liked.
Svit647 I like MC and read all of his books. In my opinion, this is the weakest one.
Gave it 1 star. Can put my signature under Jon Anderson review written here. Hope we will have better luck with Connelly's next mystery books...
Ellen I have also read all of Connelly's novels and really enjoyed the Bosch series. But this novel started out slow and boring and at times seemed like he was just going through the motions. I liked the interaction between Bosch and his new partner but there were two times when he scolded her for doing something that he does all the time. Once for lying to him, (which he has done to his partners in the past) and once for doing something without consulting him (talking to the witness), but Bosch did these things all the time, did investigating without his partner, so that annoyed me. The writing did seem flat in this novel, and it wasn't until the very end until I finally felt some emotion.
Gary I really enjoyed The Burning Room. This is a great police procedural. I agree that this a bit different than some of the othe Bosch novels, but to me this ranks among the best.
Jacquie I'm enjoying it but i'm finding it hard to get into the story. I thought it was just me..
Robin I agree. It took me a long time to read. I felt it was all procedure and Bosch was slightly absent, and his daughter and love life were glossed over. I think these series usually have a good plot and interesting main characters. This one doesn't, and I'm a Connelly fan.
Frederick Tan Maybe Connelly is getting stale but a Bosch book is still a Bosch book. I enjoy his interaction with the newbie cop Lucia Soto. Bosch will always be Bosch and he is in full action mode just as before. His deductive skill and police procedural are in full array as befitting a veteran cop. I wish to read more of his interaction with his daughter Maddy a la James Patterson Detective Michael Bennett style. Still, it is a good read.
Candace Lazzaro I got to page 88 pretty fast. I'm not finding it "dry." But 400 more pages to go.
Gordontr
Tonya Agreed. It took me a long time to finish it.
Shane Lusher I can see where it might sag a bit in the middle. It's not the best Bosch book, but it's also not the worst. To be honest, I like Connelly's other, non-Bosch books better, but Bosch will still do in a pinch. It gets better toward the end.
Image for The Burning Room
by Michael Connelly (Goodreads Author)