Dave B.
Dave B. asked:

Longfellow's translation is not the easiest or fluent translation of Dante but it provides the most gratifying and poetic version I ever encountered. This edition will take a while for me to finish but life is about the journey not the finish. What are your thoughts Goodreads? What english translation do you like and why?

To answer questions about The Divine Comedy, please sign up.
Leon Stephens The most important thing to know is that all translations are bad in comparison with the original, so the best thing is to study Italian. Failing that, I would recommend mine as the least bad. It's bilingual, in three volumes, available at www.lulu.com/spotlight/pluramon. It took me 36 years to complete it. To read a sample, click on the title and then on the word Preview under the enlarged cover photo that will then appear.
Choo Read a few different translations, but my favorite translation is by John Ciardi.
Image for The Divine Comedy