Faith
Faith asked:

Does Jim Burden's narration sound like a male voice?

To answer questions about My Ántonia, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Not to me it doesn't, no. Not least because any kid Jim's age when he goes to the farm (8 or 9) would be expected to help out with chores, even if they had to show him first, and he seldom mentions doing any until he's in his teens.
Richp To the extent of what was published at the time, certainly.

If this novel were to be published now, it would still be the best approach for the overall market from a professional standpoint. It is perfectly OK to market this for the grade 4 and up market in the schools, and I think it is excellent for that.

Almost all heterosexual guys who have lived the ages of Jim Burden's puberty through college years know a lot was euphemized about what he thought of the girls, and Antonia wasn't the only one he thought of that way. Most adults understand the conventions, and see through this without approbation of the author.
Image for My Ántonia