Faith
Faith asked:

Does Jim Burden's narration sound like a male voice?

To answer questions about My Ántonia, please sign up.
Lisa
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Not to me. He doesn't act like a boy, either--he apparently doesn't even help with the chores until he's an adolescent. I grew up in rural Iowa, and he would have been expected to help out, even if he had to be shown what to do the first couple of times. To me, it was very obviously a woman trying to write like a boy, and failing.
Emily Paige Ballou I think it's worth considering that the fact that Jim is not a stereotypically masculine man is an intrinsic part of the story.

He doesn't sound like what we expect from most men in literature, and that's precisely because of what kind of person he is.

Interestingly, I didn't think that the narrator of the Introduction (who I think might be Nina Harling, but we never really find out) sounded like a woman...even though she was a woman being written by a woman.
Image for My Ántonia