Goodreads asked Mark White:

Mark White My idea for my most recent book, 'Career Break', came from a drunken discussion I had with some friends one Friday evening. We were all fed up with our jobs and having a good old fashioned moan about life in general. I woke up the following morning and thought: 'I should write a short story about a guy suffering from a mid-life crisis.' I had a few weeks to kill between edits of my first book, 'Shepherd's Cross', so got started immediately. Before I knew it, my short story had taken on a life of its own and had grown into a full-length novel. I never meant for it to turn out like that, but hey ho!

For me, ideas come when I'm least expecting them, and I'm cool with that. In my experience, the tricky part is training your brain to recognise good ideas when they do come along...because they always do.