Llaran
Llaran asked:

When does the book start to get really interesting?

To answer questions about The Idiot, please sign up.
Pat Turman Depends on what you mean by interesting. If by interesting you mean a conventional narrative, then never. There's not much of a plot here. From what I gather, Dostoevsky's goal was to use the idiot character (the prince) to hold a mirror up to Russian society in the 19th century. So much--if not most--of the references, allegories, symbols represented by various characters & situations will be lost on readers of this century and who are not Russian. But I still enjoyed it, even if I didn't get Dostoevsky's underlying purpose a lot of the time. I enjoyed it mainly because I love Dostoevsky's sensibility. His blend of Christian optimism on the one hand combined with nihilistic fatalism on the other speaks to me in a way no other writer ever has and in a way that feels very contemporary and relevant still. The light and the dark...
Re I would name this book Russian Idiots, not The Idiot
Austin Bruce If you mean "interesting" as in explosive things happening and revelations in the story than I'd have to say you won't be that interested. For me, the interest is in the comparisons between Myshkin (Christ-like "idiot") and other characters in the story (Contemporary Russian Society). I personally find the dramatic dialogues to be rather engaging, however.
Sergey Well, I personally liked the beginning (the first third of the book) the most )
Bruno Kos It stops being interesting after 50 pages :).
Nikolaos Kantanas After you've finished it, and put it back on your shelf. I respect Dostoyevsky, but was almost bored to the point of not being able to read it.
Phani Tholeti the last two chapters
Nishal . @Pat Turman- I find it quite interesting what you get from the book. I'm only a third through it myself, so cannot say much. Anyhow, I do think that it's one of the few books from Dostoyevsky which can be read by totally making an abstraction of the russian societal context of the time. It is so relevant to any modern capitalist society. Human nature is exposed at its best and worst side by side. Evolution from the child to the adult happens at great cost. I do wonder about the implication though. Anyhow waiting to read the next two thirds!!!
David Bell When does the book start to get really interesting?
Page 1
Kiran Habibullah This is just a sad story of morally derailed character s with no shame or a working conscience. So it is quite a pain but still you'd find many resemblance no matter where in world and what time period. Honestly so much better representative of youth culture than the great gatsby.
Sophia I perceive it as the mass society is the "idiot", they ignore what is the most important thing in life - life and death.
It depends where you are at regarding the understanding of life and death, this book, is not for everyone.
Yoanna Ivanova If your expectation of "really interesting" comprises of an exciting, dynamic plot with elements of thriller or drama, something that you can grab a bowl of popcorn for, just munching and being entertained, then you've picked the wrong type of literature.
Pascal sounds like many people struggle, I am struggling to stay interested in the story or characters. moments of interesting things, quite psychological, but really drawn out.
Kumari de Silva I thought it was interesting from page one. If it seems boring I would suggest trying a different translation before giving up altogether
Alexander Whyte As others have mentioned; it appears to be more of a critique of Russian society. It is very thin on plot, and at times it really does drag. If you're not familiar with Russian society of the time (like me), you'll probably wonder why you are being told many of the things that you're reading. I've rated it as four stars as I'm sure that it is a very well written book, but I really haven't found it particularly interesting. The Prince character is very endearing however.
Mr. Andy I am maybe fifty pages into it now... on my second attempt... and realize I don't know who the characters are. I have been flat-lining. I am going to start all over again. If I can't keep it going this time, I will give up. For now.
Emma Dawson I'm on page 52 and it's not gotten that intersting yet :)
Image for The Idiot