Goodreads asked Amber Hunt:

Amber Hunt I admit I wasn't a Kennedy fanatic before tackling "The Kennedy Wives." My agent, Jane Dystel, reached out to me with an idea she called "The Tragic Lives of the Kennedy Wives." I thought it was intriguing. It would stretch me as a writer as I'd only written true crimes thus far, and it would allow me to reach a new audience. I loved that I'd be able to write a book that explored tragedy without having to dwell on it. My true crimes didn't have much room for that, especially because each was published within a couple of years of the heartbreaking crime. Enough time hadn't elapsed to examine the long-term aftershocks of the deaths. With the Kennedy wives, I could write about the tragedies they endured while also characterizing how they overcame them. As someone who's endured plenty of loss in my own life, I found that a refreshing angle to be able to take.

I ultimately was surprised by how much I respected each woman after David and I were finished writing. I was born after the Camelot days, and while I'd read biographies on the Kennedy men already, I really only saw their wives as well-dressed accessories who tolerated flagrant infidelities. After researching, I felt a kinship with the women that I wasn't expecting. We're all survivors in our own ways.