Niels Bugge
Niels Bugge asked:

Just finished the first book in the series, I like the writing style, witty dialogue and fun internal dialogue, but it went on for way too long with the characters personal issues and little disconnected sub-plots... Does the action pick up in the following books, or does it just continue in the same sedate pace?

To answer questions about Before They Are Hanged, please sign up.
Frank Steele Hi Niels,
I'm actually finishing the second one today- 15 pges left. And yes, the first book sets up the second two so you'll see more action. But the book doesn't just flit from one action sequence to another--the evolving relationships and evolution of the characters is central. So many books have thin characters just carrying the action, never learning or growing or developing. These characters are different. Orson Scot Card treats his characters the same way. Does that help at all?
Josh Niels, I suppose this is subjective but I gotta say I read the first and second book quickest of all, and it was only on the second read-through that I realized the first book could be thought of as an extended prologue.

Of course, in my opinion the characters are always where the focus should be, with the plot an immediate second. I love a story with well-developed characters, but to my mind, this story never slowed down, never felt like it dragged or that any part was boring because the characters were living the story and I was living it with them. I get that some people want high action all the time, but if I don't give a crap about the characters, such action would be boring.
The Reviewer Oh, it definitely picks up
Niels Bugge I'm about 2/3 through and it honestly feel like the author is more interested in developing the characters than getting the story anywhere, having most of the main characters blunder around in different wildernesses...
I kinda hope they'll find a dragon to ride or something, so most of the third book won't be like "ok, now we need to walk all the way back from the end of the world"
Callum Yeah it does, thank you Frank.

I just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb and found it fairly average. I am also up to the 'Bonehunters' in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Stephen Erikson, however it is quite heavy and I need a bit of a break.

I have a thirst for Fantasy reading at the moment so decided to continue the First Law trilogy. Time to see how it goes!
Image for Before They Are Hanged