Steven Davis
Steven Davis asked:

I once found an edition of The Time Machine that was a reprinting of the serially published version as it appeared in the newspaper, along w/ ads & everything. I didn't have the money on me to buy it, & it was gone when I went back. Does anybody have any idea where to find this? I've been looking for years.

To answer questions about The Time Machine, please sign up.
Martin Stirling Hi Steven, not sure if you have had any luck with this in recent years? Here is an excerpt from the wiki page which might help narrow your search:

"Wells frequently stated that he had thought of using some of this material in a series of articles in the Pall Mall Gazette until the publisher asked him if he could instead write a serial novel on the same theme. Wells readily agreed and was paid £100 (equal to about £11,000 today) on its publication by Heinemann in 1895, which first published the story in serial form in the January to May numbers of The New Review (newly under the nominal editorship of W. E. Henley).[2] Henry Holt and Company published the first book edition (possibly prepared from a different manuscript)[3] on 7 May 1895; Heinemann published an English edition on 29 May.[2] These two editions are different textually and are commonly referred to as the "Holt text" and "Heinemann text", respectively. Nearly all modern reprints reproduce the Heinemann text"

Good luck with your hunt!
Leona I found a copy at Goodwill.
Suden Käpälä Aside from Martin's answer, this may also be of interest. On Wikipedia I found out about a deleted section dubbed, 'The Final Men' (a.k.a. 'the missing pages' or 'The Grey Man'). It could be read during section/chapter 11; between the first paragraph (ending w/ "[...] into futurity.") and the second one (starting w/ "As I drove on [...]"). In my Penguin edition, this point is to be found on p81. The linked* PDF with the additional text recreates said first two paragraphs of chapter 11, and there may be additional changes to these paragraphs. (Thus, 'completionists' might want to read both versions of those paragraphs.) These extra differences might or might not be due to the difference between the UK (Heinemann) and US (Holt) versions of the novel -- since I only have the one English version.

*: The links (below) might disappear after a time? In any case, finding a PDF shouldn't be a problem since as far as I assume, the original text has long since veered into the public domain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tim...
https://www.ittdb.com/fiction/wells-t...
William Beldham Have you tried Project Gutenberg? www.gutenberg.org
Aarja You can find a copy at any Library (must be).
marmakitty amazon.com
amazon.co.uk
Kurt Van Deusen Check the local Library, I got The Time Traveler and The Invisible Man in one book at my local Library.
Jake Lee
Image for The Time Machine