Nicole Melo
Nicole Melo asked:

So I want to convince my 8th grade classmates to read this with me, but the boys are hesitant because they think it is too "girly". Is it?

Kitty Because there is a significant chunk of the book that talks about behavior of the boys she goes to school with, I think it would be very worth reading for everyone. There are so many topics she covers that are universal when talking about social standing and cliques, plus there is a lot boys could learn from how Maya is treated specifically by the boys at her school. I think it would make for great discussion. Hell, the fact that they are resistant to your idea alone makes for great discussion. I didn't want to read Catcher in the Rye because it was a coming of age story about a boy, but it was required reading when I was in school. Boys need to get over themselves.
Alina Borger There is NO SUCH THING as a "girl" book or a "boy" book. Anyone can read anything, kiddo. Anyone. Can. Read. Anything. -- and enjoy it.
Shalyn This is definitely a book for girls. Also, if your goal is to read the book and discuss it, I think you'll get more honest and candid discussion if your group is just girls, because the book covers some topics that girls may be embarrassed or just uncomfortable discussing in front of boys. There are other books out there that would be more appropriate for boys to read and discuss.
Kim McGee I thought the same thing as it has just been chosen for next year's LoneStar list in Texas. I think most boys would be turned off by reading about girdles and makeup but the life lessons about confidence and pain of growing up should be learned by boys and girls.
Susie Definitely too girly. I would be surprised if an 8th grade boy could identify with this.
Jeanne Yes, it is too girly. I cannot imagine a boy reading this and enjoying it.
Image for Popular