Debbie
Debbie asked:

Anyone reading this on kindle and finding errors? I'm on 20% and reported three so far - does anyone actually check reports or am I wasting my time? Obviously if I am wrong I now look like a numpty but I've never heard of someone 'repairing to the library' to find something out so think that's meant to be 'retire'?

To answer questions about Foxglove Summer, please sign up.
Zoe Alderman A man of Nightingale's era would certainly repair to the library.
Marie (UK) repairing to library is understandable to me and appropriate
Paul Perhaps you can give the other errors here?

Repairing to the library is perfectly good, but old fashioned, suitable for a man of Nightingale's age.

repair to something
phrasal verb
old-fashioned to go to a place:
"Shall we repair to the drawing room?"
Vicki Lanzo I have the paperback version, there were tons of grammatical errors which is a shame. Whoever they hired to proofread the book needs to be fired! Especially since the release date was pushed back and they had additional time!
Kittycat I've noticed a few sentences that don't make sense and I'm not that careful a reader, so it's not just you. Repairing to the library is valid though. I wish they'd given it another month, as although the book was excellent it did need a final proof read and a concluding chapter or two.
James Kemp I've just finished the hardback, but I didn't spot any errors on my way through. Although I wouldn't have classified 'repairing to the library' as an error. Proper old fashioned British that is.
Fiona I've seen a few library hard copies marked "come with" amended with a biro or pencil to read "come with me" but that's actually a turn of phrase - to come with, you decided to come with? It's driving me a bit nuts.
Mikki I've noticed this in all his books so far (although, as already mentioned, 'repairing to' is perfectly valid in this context). But double words in sentences ('I wanted to to go', stuff like that) or words missing, no quotation marks at the end or beginning of a dialogue, stuff like that. Seems like they're just not that careful when proofreading? Idk, it makes it seem kind of sloppy work from the editors, but it doesn't really affect the reading experience, as it doesn't make the story or sentences incomprehensible or something (or at least I haven't noticed anything lik that (yet)).
Colleen I am not reading it on Kindle but the printed book as all sorts of errors so I am not surprised!
Clive Grewcock Repairing is fine when used by Nightingale. Posh people retire to bed and repair to libraries and the like.
Some, but not all, of the other grammatical 'errors' are gags based on (posh) Nightingale correcting (council estate) Grant.
Barbara Harris Marshall Being an American who lived in London for many years, I found no improper language. Remember we got our English from the British and turned it American. It is a matter of what you are used to. Some publishers go to the trouble of Americanizing a book to we don't have to think about it. One reason why I bought these books and many, many more in the UK and gladly paid the extra fee to move them back to the US.
Pamela Riek The churn these books out so I have more fun stuff to read. I don't mind an occasional error. I noticed one missing preposition in this book that did not seem like a Britishism. Also there is a lot of dialogue with slang and Britishism that I love. I can hear the accent as I read. I remember having a few English teachers that wouldn't teach you any grammar or let you at any style books and then would spring a grammar test at the end of the semester. That's psycho. English is the only subject that they test you on something they do not teach. So I find small errors mildly refreshing. And "repairing to the library" is certainly an slightly archaic figure of speech that I have heard before--not an error.
Barbara
Are you in UK? Dying to have this now and not wait til Jan USA release date.
Consider looking at a UK historical expressions and UK regular dictionary as you read. The kindle in US version does switch to some dull Americanisms. I buy the kindle and the audiobook, and do occasionally need to check kindle for expressions I need to google..
In regency novels people go on a "repairing lease" to recover from city life.
Ms.Davies Librarian Yes, that what it means.
Image for Foxglove Summer
by Ben Aaronovitch (Goodreads Author)