Kate
Kate asked:

This is such a trite question--- but how bad is the ending? I REALLY want to read this but not sure how much heart break I'm up for.

To answer questions about Preparation for the Next Life, please sign up.
M Thompson If you are afraid of pain you should not read this book, or fall in love, or have a child, or practice martial arts, or run a marathon. If you think that sometimes pain is just the price you have to pay sometimes then you will be richly rewarded and you will find yourself looking at the edges with a little more empathy.
Maggie Sokolik The ending went exactly where it needed to go.
Shawn It's as bad as you imagine, but only because it stays true and honest to real life.
Katy Defay It was not as bad as I imagined. I had a certain fear that did not come to pass, so for that I am grateful.
Igor Based on how the rest of the book was going, I thought the ending would be much more subversive and distressing. It ended up being - expected, in a sense. We, as readers, had been building up to it. There's so much more to the book than a simple plot twist at the conclusion that you shouldn't avoid the book just because of discomfort. There is far too much that's deeply disconcerting throughout to worry about a twist.
Ilyssa Wesche Exactly the question I just asked myself! Glad I'm not alone in my trepidation.
Kathy Szoo I read this question and answer before I read the book and because of Shawn's answer I was cringing as I turned each page towards the end of the book expecting the very worst to happen. The worst didn't happen but he's right , it was still very sad. Totally worth it though. Unflinchingly honest and unsentimental.
Juliette It's heart-breaking, but worth it in spades.
Gardenia Plant It was heartbreaking and hopeless. Realistic, perhaps, but unsatisfying.
Melissa I don't think it was as bad as I could have imagined. It twisted a bit at the end and I had some sense of hope even though it was the darkest book I've read in a long while . . .
Image for Preparation for the Next Life