Allyson Faith
Allyson Faith asked Azar Nafisi:

Would you say that literature can save our lives? I think that, as readers, we all find out way into literature in different ways, but I am continually interested in the philosophical question of how art can save us. Thank you.

Azar Nafisi Dear Allyson, I try to respond to this question in my book....I am not trying to turn literature into some sort of Messiah, but I know that all works of imagination, music, arts, poetry, drama, literature....and ideas, philosophy etc...come from a deep rooted need within human beings. Our survival literally depends on curiosity, the desire for knowledge and knowledge comes in all forms, with science we master the material world and thus survive its dangers and with literature and arts we master that other even more unknown world that we can feel but not articulate, which is why man from time immemorial has used stories in mythology, religion, and other matters, in order to define and gain some control over what it means to be a human living in a world that in reality has no safety nets . that is why no power on earth can take away from us our desire to tell and hear stories.....