Goodreads asked Vanessa Ricci-Thode:

Vanessa Ricci-Thode This question is kind of hilarious because it presumes there is only one idea in a book, or that there is only one source of ideas. There is no Idea Fairy, though I do occasionally joke about getting ideas from the What-If Fairy. For me, ideas come from everywhere and anywhere by asking "what if...?" of any situation.

All of my books come from many different sources, some ideas are big (What if my MC is immune to fire?) and some are small (What if I make this secondary character really good with knives?).

For my most recently published novel, After the Dragon Raid, part of the idea came from pulling weeds one day. I love gardening and wanted to incorporate that into a story. And the opening scene is basically a lucid dream I had that I madly transcribed before breakfast. Even the characters' names came from the dream. From there, I just started asking myself questions. What if Sam has a deep secret? What if Tassia finally gets in trouble for insubordination? What if Sam's infatuation turns into more? Then I have fun with it.