Goodreads asked Paula Coston:

Paula Coston That's a difficult one. I was 'inspired' to write the novel of mine that's just out when I was jolted out of my then writing mindset by a novelist who was very different from me, both in personality and in output. It took her reflecting my life story back to me, and the blocks I was encountering with my current output, to make me see where my real story lay.

In general, I seek out the 'cross-grain' in things, and that inspires me: what I mean by that is that I look for, and am constantly intrigued and stimulated by, paradoxes, combinations of unlikely elements together, oxymorons, contradictions. There's nothing worse than a predictable book - in terms of plot, character or place. 'Always expect the unexpected', isn't that what they say? So I look for, and keep examples of, all that.