Alexandra
Alexandra asked Azar Nafisi:

There were some clear moments in Reading Lolita in Tehran in which you seemed to have difficulty navigating the culture clash between Western and Middle-Eastern teaching styles (i.e. the frustration you expressed over the memorization and reiteration of lectures word for word). What advice would you give to teachers experiencing similar difficulties navigating cultural competency in their classrooms?

Azar Nafisi I believe one aspect of teaching is helping the students gain the independence of mind that would make them know themselves and the world better, and would make them in one sense more free, more liberated, if you will....So as a teacher we need humility, as well as confidence, we need to understand that we learn as much from teaching, otherwise teaching would be the most boring job in the world! I always let my students connect to the texts without expressing my own ideas or giving them theoretical works about the texts to read, and I ask them to write their impressions in their journals to understand how they connected to the work, only then do I open the class to other ideas,