Jeff
Jeff asked:

This book looks terrific - has anyone read the other books in the Penguin History of Europe? I suppose what I'm asking is, should I start here? or go back and start at the beginning?

Sinan Danacioglu I was looking for a book that would let me understand 30 Years War and it's background. This book delivers was so much info that I feel enriched with each chapter. It is a bit long read but totally worth it. Definitely one of the best books I have read.
Glenn Andersen The Pusuit of Glory is magnificent and highly recommendable, but I don't believe it matters which book you begin with.
Moho100 start with this or the pursuit of glory
David I ewonder if Penguin has looked at the great Yale Church History by the late, great Jaroslav Pelikan? ?
Image for Christendom Destroyed