Joe Clarke
Joe Clarke asked:

Does anybody else think that Buccmaster, the hero, would actually be a villain if the story was told from any other point of view other than his own?

To answer questions about The Wake, please sign up.
Marie Yes, I think that what we're following is the mental unravelling of Buccmaster. He has not just lost his world externally - he is losing his internal world, his grip on reality. In short, he is going mad. The double-columned internal dialogue that he is having with Weland Smith could even be a sign of schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder. It reminds me a little of the portrayal of Gollum/Smeagol who has the same kind of ongoing internal dialogue.
J. Moufawad-Paul
Carriefeibel He's the protagonist, neither hero nor villain. A complex and unreliable narrator. And I think it was realistic of the author to make him the leader of the band, since it would take someone passionate and perhaps unstable to take on the Normans, someone fueled by fantasies and perhaps guilt.
Laura Dabrowski I don't think that he is mad. He is a man whose very soul is bound up in his land , and he has lost everything -his family , his home , his land, his community , and his culture . He is desperate , no one else to take charge , so he pays attention to those signs and messages supporting what he knows that he must do . In some way s you could look at Buccmaster as a patron Saint of Britain , complete with flaming sword. On an island there is nowhere to go. He believes that he is on a divinely inspired mission to save his way of life . If he is mad, it is the messianic madness and ferocity of other religiously-inspired warriors . I guess that is enough to unhinge you .
Lital We as the reader are definitely not meant to think that Buccmaster is a hero.
Geoff Boxell As I read the book I thought: "This man is mad", and so it turned out to be. He is no hero, just a mad man and a danger to both himself and all who align with him.
Alexine Fleck I don't even think those terms can apply. He's the hero in the sense that he is the narrator through whom we learn the story, but what does "hero" and "villain" even mean during such an apocalypse?

Michele I don't think he would be a villain but the author has caught the essence of how I imagine a crude medieval peasant would think and act. He's focused on his own survival in a harsh world. I'm looking forward to the television series based on this book!
Emily Paige Ballou Oh, absolutely. And I LIKE his voice and his narration, but he hits his wife, and he's selfish and kind of arrogant.

But I think he's a compelling narrator, too, because we can see both of those sides of him. He's human. Despite his conviction that he's chosen or smarter or better than others, he's kind of what could happen to anybody under extreme duress.
Adam Omidpanah
Douglas Pokorny Anyone who has ever read practically anything by William Faulkner knows the answer to that question.
Joel
Image for The Wake