Alana
Alana asked:

Which of the trhee main characters did you feel most empathy for? and why?

To answer questions about Love in the Time of Cholera, please sign up.
Carole I had empathy for Florentino Ariza until he seduced his ward at age 14. If you had asked which character I most admired it would be Leona Cassiano because she was smart, shrewd, and intelligent. She was smarter than Florentino gave her credit for being and she garnered the respect of the R.C.C. because of her intelligence and her focus. Of course the deference she showed to the officers of the business was clearly because of custom (she was a woman and a woman of color at that!) The way she cared for F.A. when he aged might mean that she truly loved him (as he truly loved her!) because why else would she bathe him, give him enemas, etc.?
Lucia All the characters had their flaws. As the young Fermina Daza is closest to me in age, I felt for her due to the constraints of her social situation as in the society she lived in she had to marry by a certain age or otherwise become an old maid. It seems like a question which confronts a lot of people - whether to pursue love more passionately or pragmatically. I empathised with Florentino as many of us know what it's like to be lovesick and to want what you cannot have. And none of us are immune to breaking a few hearts because of our love for someone else. Though the storyline featuring America Vicuna and his selfish actions did alter my view of him. Though I did dislike some character traits I thought that overall Dr Juvenal Urbino was a devoted husband despite his dalliance with Barbara Lynch.
Alana oops... *three
Image for Love in the Time of Cholera