Sentimental Surrealist

Sooooo lemme get this straight. Heinlein writes a book about a ninety year old man who invades a young woman's body while her consciousness is still there, and we're NOT supposed to be creeped out by it? The '70s were fucked up.

To answer questions about I Will Fear No Evil, please sign up.
Manny I don't know how many times I have to explain that he does it in a very sensitive, caring way, and shows that he deeply respects her both as a human being and as a sex object.
Joseph Turner If you want to over simplify the story, sure.

As with all of Heinlein's work, I Will Fear No Evil challenges you to think and is enjoyable whether you agree with Heinlein's beliefs or not.

It's one of his books I would love to see put on screen.
Bill League RAH made comments in many books to the "Crazy Years" In Fear no Evil he gives us a window on just how crazy those years could've, could still? become. He also takes a step into the Arena of just exactly where the I that we refer to as ourselves is actually located.. in other words does our "soul" only exist in our minds or perhaps is there an unmeasurable component of our Identity that is part of the whole that makes up the I we speak of when we talk about our Identity. OK? So if you transplant Old Man's brain into his sexy young secretary's body after she has "died" from massive trauma to her brain what do you get? Well we all know that Medical Science will say the Identity lives in the Brain so the resulting young woman is now the Old Man who's brain just got a body transplant.. RAH presents us with a soul still inside that young woman's body sharing space with her Boss and helping him navigate the crazyness of the Crazy Days.. Yes there is sex.. but as he revealed in his later novels RAH's vision of our future is a hope for mankind where our sexual hangups will gradually fall away (Not pedophilia it's a sickness and a crime) leaving us with a healthier and more honest relations between consenting adults. Considering the Generation RAH is from his views on the LGBT scenes and people is open and non judgmental. The merging of the Old Man and pretty young thing allows the author to include his non graphic "sex scenes" (left to the readers immagination) without having the "Old Man" to have to travel some kind of psychological maze where he would have to confront having become a woman and all the mental therapy that such a change would be expected to be needed.. RAH short circuits all this by having our Heroine not die but wake up almost alongside our Hero and form a partnership so when the sex comes it's with our Heroine coaching our Hero through it and helping him come to terms with now being a her... So if you aren't confused worse from that read and enjoy and be thankful that we haven't gotten as Crazy as RAH thought we might.. well not yet.. hopefully we will survive our Crazy years...
Megalion "Invades".

That did not happen.

It was 100% consensual. It is actually a key bit of the emotional drama development. Yet if one insists on ignoring Eunice's choice.... well that's reader bias and nothing on Heinlein.

I always loved the book because Eunice owns her sexuality. She doesn't apologize for being beautiful or pretend ignorance of its draw.

I'm a #MeToo x2, both as a child. I loved Heinlein's work for how he celebrates female sexuality and makes it clear that only she is allowed to decide what she will share off her body and with who. And that she shouldn't feel shame about her libido.

It was very healing for me. People might mistake the "lewd" comments for being sexual harassment but I would direct the reader again to pay attention to what Eunice thinks about it.

A very recent modern day *real life* example would be Michael Weatherly and Eliza Dushku. She's also a survivor of childhood #MeToo thanks to the stunt coordinator (?) On True Lies (Arnold Schwarzenegger & Jamie Lee Curtis). She played a sexy bad ass heroine (or anti-heroine) in multiple Joss Whedon projects. Also for Kevin Smith, the only man to get slapped with NC-17 just for the *DIALOGUE* of a movie. Eliza knows she is sexy but did not want to be the butt of Weatherly's innuendos. She asked him to stop and he didn't. That is her right.

Tying back to Eunice, she was happy to share her sexuality with others. Not just men. And as long as she was comfortable, then it was ok. When it wasn't. It was not. The lines of respect have been so eroded that it seems impossible to safely appreciate physical and/or sexual beauty without onus of expectation.

Viral video in 2018, guy decided to help himself to a handful of ass on his way to the bathroom.... and got masterfully taken down by the waitress it belonged to. Yes, she was dressed for comfort so her body looked really good. But that did not entitle him to touch any part of her. Incidentally, he was on a date with the mother of his children when he violated the waitress's personal space.

The men in the book do not touch Eunice intentionally without permission. They check in. She and they discuss boundaries even. They follow her lead and instead of inventing butt hurted ness incel feelings, they appreciate that they get to see her and be in her presence. I also thought that Heinlein portrayed them as being attracted to her mind and personality as well as the body.

Twilight is creepy and unhealthy because at the end of the day, you have a ~100year old MAN sneaking into a young teen girl's bedroom for no other reason but that she smells good and he can't read her mind. At the beginning, Belle is embarking on the painful journey of a teenage girl in figuring out who she is as a person. What her worth is. Which makes her a blank slate at the time Edward starts stalking her.

All the hallmarks of pedophilia and abusive relationship behaviors romanticized.

I always loved the movie Untamed Heart In which Slater sneaks into Tomei's bedroom just like Edward did to Bella. However, I was always aware that the behavior was actually not desirable behavior in real life. Broke my heart when the teenaged girls started dreaming of their own Edwards.... did they understand the difference?

In Heinlein's stories that I recall, rape was rape. Not dressed up in "romance" rape culture style.

G.R. Reader I think it could reasonably be considered a precursor to Twilight - though Edward is admittedly somewhat older, and Bella somewhat younger.
Nathan Bishop Totally creepy. Not because it's an old man in a young woman's body, but because the "sweet young thing" is all she is. from what She says (while still existing in the body she could no longer physically inhabits) she was controlled by hormones, and now that the old man is in residence, the body is controlling him. She wanted nothing more than to please men (through sex) and have nothing more than a little fun for her self. As an old man he was a power hungry wolf, but now that he's in a woman's body he just wants to be protected? Please. It's so bad I've put it down about halfway through. It's Heinlein, so I'll try to pick it up again, but so far... it's a terribly unenlightened, pop-philosophy BS wrapped up in a racy fantasy novel that could have been written by Larry Flint. I expected much more from him.
Joleen Shook Heinlein had an incredible reverence and respect for women, especially for his time. This book didn't feel at all creepy to me.
Mike I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein is a novel, a work of fiction. If you are getting feels from reading it, the book is working as intended.
Image for I Will Fear No Evil