Ronnie
Ronnie asked:

Has anyone read this? i am researching as to whether the king's ride on horse back included a jewish star on an armband? it is mentioned by Lois Lowry in Number the Stars and by Leon Uris in Exodus. But is this urban folk tale or documented History? I need to see some hard news evidence to prove this inspiring story once and for all! think I'd better read this book! Ronnie Nygaard

To answer questions about The Yellow Star, please sign up.
Bob H I haven't read this book, but having read, and reviewed, Bo Lidegaard's "Countrymen", nonfiction about the rescue of Denmark's Jewish community, I can tell you that King Christian X didn't wear a yellow star because nobody had to -- apparently the Nazis realized that the Danes would resist. The King was capable of such a gesture, and did pressure the Nazis in other ways, but the actual story is more subtle. He did ride his horse, in uniform, as an inspiration to his people, and was injured in a fall with his horse in October 1942, and didn't ride much after that. It's an inspiring story, but more complicated. I recommend you read Lidegaard's book.
Kathy If you just search for KIng Christian X of Denmark online you can find a number of places to see how the Danes were able to save many people in the Jewish community and helped many escape.
Image for The Yellow Star