Lorraine Bartlett

I love Nesbo! Started this because I was bored...and loved Harry Hole although I overdosed on 5 novels in a month. But yes it's got me hooked. May be contrived and slightly predictable but I really enjoy the dark Nordic dysfunctional stuff! Written and translated with humour and compassion.....still addicted. Does anyone else get Nesbo? Why is it so compelling?

To answer questions about The Son, please sign up.
Kristine Walker He is so compelling for a number of reasons. First, he develops characters that are heroic, yet flawed, and so we come to care about them - we want to be more involved in the lives of Harry, Rakael, and her son. Secondly, he's a great wordsmith who knows how to place the reader in the story; his descriptions of Oslo are superb. Lastly, his ability to create suspense - whether we know who the killer is, or we are following along with the police- is brilliant too. One of my favourite authors! I agree also with another commenter who stated that 'romance is a significant aspect of Nesbo's work' -so true.
Tom Combs Nesbo is brilliant. Harry Hole is one of the most compelling and flawed protagonists in any series. "The Son" is sans Harry but every bit as successful. Great writing craft. Kudos to the translator. This is a great book for those who have not read Nesbo to check him out. I suspect most will turn to the Hole series for more great reading.
Incidentally - romance is a significant aspect of Nesbo's work imo.
Adriana Daska Μy favoritate, too...addicted, and of cource in the line of lovely Northern writers as unlucky Stieg Larsson, and others......I love the cloudy atmospere, the human sensitive side of the characters, the plot, the feeling that you can't leave the book until the last line.......These are the books to me......
Anne F I too love Jo Nesbo books. They are so compelling, cannot put them down once started. Loved The son. And love Harry Hole. I agree, I am reading all the Jo Nesbo novels I can get my hands on. And as others have commented, brilliantly translated.
Anu Gujran LOVING this book. Brilliantly written and translated! Behind the ruthlessness and cruelty, there is a brilliant light of humanity marching alongside.
Fred I agree with Kristine. He gets the balance just right with his main character. Harry Hole can get punch drunk and we still root for him to get sober and solve the crime because we love him for his heart, which has been systematically and delicately laid open for us to inspect, approve and identify with...
Ana Vršek I too love his style and great story-telling talent, his books keep the readers hooked till last page. I like the way he shares some random small part of backstory when minor characters are introduced, like some of the characters' thoughts or attitudes.
Image for The Son
by Jo Nesbø (Goodreads Author)