William
William asked:

I'm completely enthralled by Leckie's vision, pacing and style in these two books. Can those of you who think these books are 10/10 please recommend other sci-fi space operas? Thanks

To answer questions about Ancillary Sword, please sign up.
James T. Yes, the Leviathan Wakes trilogy gets 2 thumbs up. Also, if you like Leckie's vision of the future, try some of Iain Bank's Culture series. I started with The Algebraist and couldn't quit until I'd read everything he'd written
MadProfessah I second the vote for James SA Corey's The Expanse series and would also add that Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space is a favorite of mine (although I enjoy his two detective books in the Revelation Space universe, Chasm City and The Prefect, even more).

But for top-knotch space opera I would say start with Corey's Leviathan Wakes and don't look back!

Just a quick note on The Culture series by Iain Banks--they can be hit or miss. I liked the later ones (Surface Detail and Matter but could not get into Excession or The Algebraist at all). I'm hoping to read the classic Culture novels (The Player of Games)
Becky I would suggest C.J. Cherryh's "Downbelow Station" and "Cyteen" and pretty much any of her other science fiction stories. I found Leckie's writing to be very similar.
Charles This corner of the genre is considered 'middle-brow space opera'. In terms of universe building, Leckie is very similar to Lois McMaster Bujold's 'Vorkosigan' and David Weber's "Honor Harrington' stories. Although neither of these go as deeply into gender/identity issues as she does.
Cal The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin.
Ita Lois McMaster Bujold's vorkosigan saga starting with Cordelia's Honor. Fabulous characters, fast paced plots.

John scalzi's books. His writing style is smooth and easy to read. He creates likable, interesting characters and his plots rattle along at a good pace. He generally inserts a bit of my kind of humor and snark into his books

William I quite enjoyed the Leviathan Wakes series by James Corey. Good space opera and sci-fi.

I am reading the Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained (two half-books) now. Superb hard sci-fi, very creative, many many characters and sub-plots. Great battle scenes.
Ruth Pritchett Leckie is a fan of C. J. Cherryh and I can see her influence in the Ancillary books. I recommend Cherryh's FOREIGNER series, but start at the beginning.
Lauren I highly recommend the Foundation trilogy by sci-fi great Isaac Asimov. Its brilliant.
Juushika I agree with recommendations for Cherryh's Alliance-Union books; I also recommend Elizabeth Bear's Jacob's Ladder trilogy--it has a similar in medias res style to Ancillary Sword, and a similar focus on gender, microexpressions, and interpersonal relationships underlying larger space opera concepts.
Eleanor With Cats I second the recommendations for James S.A. Corey's Expanse series, C.J. Cherryh's novels, and Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Check out dendarii.org about the Bujold reading order, as most of the books have been republished in omnibuses but in a slightly altered order and it can be confusing. If you start with either Shards of Honor (single) or Cordelia's Honor (omnibus) you should be good.

I would add recommendations for Karen Traviss' Wess'har wars series (starting with City of Pearl - really good characterization and space opera with political intrigue) and Yoon Ha Lee's short stories (mostly collected in Conservation of Shadows and often available free online). For sheer awesomeness, I recommend Ted Chiang's short stories, mostly collected in Stories Of Your Life and Others. I think you would also like Elizabeth Bear's odd space opera trilogy beginning with Dust (titled Pinion in the UK). I think that's actually the work most comparable in vision to the Ancillary trilogy, although there's a sort of Arthurian fantasy overlay that meant that didn't occur to me for a while. But visionary worldbuilding, AI, gender, centuries of intrigue, small glimpses of aliens: all there.
Andrew Watson Copied this from Wikipedia. Dan Simmons is an American writer most widely known for his Hugo Award-winning science fiction series, the Hyperion Cantos, and for his Locus-winning Ilium/Olympos cycle.

I loved those books.
Mike Vernor Vinge's Zones of Thought series, starting with A Fire Upon The Deep. You know how in movies like The Princess Bride or Neverending Story where a real-world character starts to read a book and the film immediately switches to the book world? That's how reading Fire Upon The Deep felt to me once I got into it. Instantly submerged. I also second the recommendations for The Expanse series.
Sean Francisco Yau-Smith I will go with James T's recommendation of of Iain Banks. Great science-fiction, opera and a very good writer in terms of craft.
Christopher Glidden I absolutely want to second everyone who recommended the science fiction work Iain M. Banks. Don't neglect his regular fiction either - he is amazing and some of his "crazy Scottish family" stories remind me of Richard Russo's work. I would also highly recommend Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series. It might be more regarded as fantasy, but I found his style similar to Leckie's. Both authors require that the reader read very carefully and fill in some of the blanks and try to interpret events and character motivations themselves. Alastair Reynolds and Peter Watts are both solid scifi authors worth checking out. James SA Corey is well worth reading, too, but I am not sure their writing or style is that similar to Anne Heckie's.
Christopher Smith The Ender series by Orson Scott Card is a must-read if you haven't yet. I second the recommendation of Vernor Vinge's first two Zones of Thought novels (avoid the third). Iain Banks is hit or miss, but Player of Games and Surface Detail are quite good. Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series and Lois McMaster Bujold's book Young Miles are above-average military sci-fi, though not quite space opera. For something a bit more classic, try The Mote in God's Eye by Niven.
Tom I found her books very Frank Herbert ish, so definatly his novels.
Image for Ancillary Sword
by Ann Leckie (Goodreads Author)