Ed Rockland
Ed Rockland asked:

Has anyone else read this book?

To answer questions about Russka: the Novel of Russia, please sign up.
Shawn Yes, I liked it. I was really into anything Russian for a few months and I picked it up then.
What I liked about it besides the subject was how it kinda drew you into the characters so you cheered for the peasant guy who was trying to make it big by discovering ways to make money like through bees. The coolest thing was finding the work of the generations being reflected into the next generation, so you'd see the larger points of history develop and see a "liberal" main character have a child who turns extraordinarily conservative, you see the reaction to Peter the Great, Ivan the terrible.
It's historical fiction so it does make you want to check which parts are accurate and which aren't but it doesn't make a huge mystery out of it and you can mostly see which parts are true. I learned a lot that I didn't know happened during the feudal age.

I think if you're looking for something that gives you a wide perspective of what was happening throughout Russian history then you should pick up this book. It does some set-up throughout the start of the book that makes more sense why he did it later down the road, so it gets more interesting.
C. M. Yes, quite a while ago. I found it an engaging, worthwhile read. I appreciated the history of Russia presented chronologically in historical fiction form, through characters of distinct cultures within the backdrop of evolving politics. I was specifically interested in gaining a wide-lens as well as a cultural perspective as to how Russia evolved into and as a nation; thus, for me, it was a good read.
Dani I'm currently reading it. It is not really thrilling to be honest.. I am somewhere in the XVII century, in 'The Cossack' story. What would you like to know about it? Have you read it as well?
Image for Russka
by Edward Rutherfurd (Goodreads Author)