Joyce Field
Joyce Field asked:

I'm an Amy Tan fan. After so many years since her last book, this one began on a high note; then became a chore; then ended abruptly like she ran out of words. What do others think?

To answer questions about The Valley of Amazement, please sign up.
Natalia I feel the same, it was disappointing. I couldn't emphatize with the main characters. The erotic parts were lame.

The only feeling this book gave me was frustration and a frugal sense of victory once I finished it. (I tried to quit reading on several occasions).
Kafunda Banks I totally agree. I was sobbing by the end of the story except I didn't realize it was the end until I turned the page. There was nothing! Blank page. That's it?! Couldn't believe it.
Susan Disliked this from the beginning, Will not finish it,
Thart2002 I found the first half of the book interesting but the longer it went on the less I liked it. The multi-generation story was too long. And because the book covered so many people it wasn't able to give enough information to really know or care about Violet's mother or daughter. The fact that all 3 generations struggled with the same feelings of being unlovable didn't ring true to me. Violet's mother would have parented differently based on how she felt as a child but she really did the same thing her parents did to her.
Melissa I completely disagree with all of you. This is a well-maintained epic. It could have grown and spanned in many directions as it was written as I am sure it did before she reached a final draft. Amy Tan intelligently integrated two very different worlds and ended with a feeling of, if not peace, of wisdom from the past, a depth of understanding that comes from studying History. I have read everything she has ever written and if this is where she chooses to end her career, I will be more than content with Valley as her last work.
Heather Absolutely. Felt the same. And I'm with Teri below. I didn't have any feelings for her left. What a shame.
Kristin Selnes So sorry to hear these comments. I am on page 200 and just love it. But it seems as this will not last until the end.
Teri I'm glad to read these comments as I agree. I'm such a fan, but after 400 pages -- yes it's become a slog and I think I'm done. I no longer have sympathy for our main character which is so disappointing.
Julie I felt the EXACT same way. Was a disappointment
Sena Zimmer I agree with everyone. This book was a chore to read. It seemed so disjointed I became frustrated. I did finish the book, and felt relieved to have it over.
Michael I think it was total rubish. I can't believe she wrote it.
Dany Pellegrino I think that is exactly how I felt. So disappointed.
Image for The Valley of Amazement
by Amy Tan (Goodreads Author)